[click pics for larger view]This ATC is removable! Read below to find out more.....

I made some Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) with Sweet Pea Stamp's
Be sure to check out the Sweet Pea DT blog for specials and new releases!
These stamps are the PERFECT size for ATCs! I then taped them to an Amuse notecard with that incredible Japanese washi masking tape!!! The great thing about this tape is it is removable, without a trace, from most surfaces! So, my card recipient can peel the tape off and keep their little ATC!!
*Please remember, if you do purchase these lovely images, to give credit to the talented Ching-Chou Kuik on your creations!
JAPANESE MASKING TAPE!!!!
Love this stuff!
I have found two amazing sources for these tapes. They both have a great selection and some of the best pricing around!
In the US: PrettyTape Etsy Shop
In Japan (will ship to US): Uguisu
Paper Tales in San Diego is now carrying a great selection. They are almost sold out, but there's another shipment on its way!
Another question I frequently get is regarding the glitter pens.
I use the Copic Spica glitter pen clear for subtle accents, as seen on the first pic. And the Sakura gelly roll in Clear Stardust for mega glitz, as seen in my second pic. The pens come in a double pack and can be purchased at Eclectic Paperie. They are my FAV clear glitter pens.

PURPLE MERMAID HAIR TUTORIAL
I used the following Copic Marker colors:
V12
V15
V17
B00
I like to work from dark to light. First apply your V17 Amethyst like so...

Then add your V15 Mallow......
Then fill in the rest with V12 Pale Lilac.......
Now work backwards and add some more V15, and the V17, you can repeat the process dark to light, then light to dark over and over until you are happy with the blending....
Then add your B00 Frost Blue (my most used color), to the middle section....
Don't be worried if it leaves strange marks. Just go back over with V12 and reblend your other colors until you are happy with it.
At this point, I may let my ink dry for about a half an hour. Then go back and smooth it out by repeating the steps.The key is LAYERING!! You need to apply lots of layers to get it to blend! You know you're doing a good job if the back of your cardstock looks like this.....

If it's not showing through the back of your cardstock, it means you are not applying enough color or your paper is too heavy. My favorite paper is Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 80lb.
Here's the final result. I also used a little W3 (my most used gray) to give a little more definition.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!!!
Hope this was helpful!
Enjoy your Sunday evening everyone!


24 comments:
Randi - Absolutely stunningly gorgeous!! I love that effect you get that I think of as iridescent taffeta! Thanks for all of the info you give us! I did pick up a pack of those pens, and they are fun, but you just have such a wonderful way with them!! :-)Traci
Such lovely cards! I love how you used your ATC.
Thank you soo much for the tutorial!! I'm always on the look-out for other people's techniques! Especially since you are so talented and unique! I'm going to try the dark to light technique and the Japanese tape & stamping paper you use! Wonderful ATCs as well!
Randi
WOW girl these are so fantastic! You have outdone yourself on these ATC! You are so inspiring!
You go Girl! The fairies are absolutely stunning!!! I agree, the stardust pen are my absolute favorite! And your tutorial is awesome. Thanks so much!
Randy, these are beautiful!!! your coloring is just amazing on them and tahnks for the tutorial!!
Angela
WOW That colouring is sensational. Not to mention a perfect image!
You should be so proud!
Your cards are just AMAZING, you use Sweet Pea Stamps with perfection, the mermaids are so gorgeous.
Thank you very much for the tutorial and for sharing your tips and techniques :)
Thanks for your lovely comments too :)
xxx
Mag
Oh just GORGEOUS.
Your ATC is gorgeous Randi, love the colours and what a fab tutorial, would never have thought of using these colours, thanks!
Clairexx
Gorgeous work! These mermaids of yours are just stunning. The artist trading card idea is just fantastic! And your tutorial is great!!
What a beautiful card Randi,i love the image and colours.
Hugs Riet.x
Randi, your work is beautiful. I would love for you to be a guest designer on Cropped! Please email me. Thanks. jnorman@virtueradionetwork.com
Holy cow these are gorgeous! There is something about your coloring and style that is so recognizably Randi and I think it the way you blend different colors like yellow and green. Love the way you add your sparkles too. Question...how do you apply glimmer mist to digitally printed images and not have the ink smear on you? I tried painting some glimmer mist on fairy wings and it feathered the edges of the images. Fabulous tutorial!
Holy GUACAMOLE! Randi...each of these are AMAZING!!! LOVE your ROCKIN' coloring and thanks for the tutorial for purple hair!! WOWSA!
Wow! Your coloring is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing tutorial!
you and these sweet pea stamps make me want copics.
you color so gorgeous - i feel like i could just reach out and actually touch magnificent!
Super Tutorial Randi I love how you do it!!! I think we color our hair exactly the opposite way, yet many of your samples and my samples turn out about the same in the hair department so fun how with copics you can do it so many different cool ways and in the end achieve close to the same effect, but I have to try playing around with your technique because I adore your coloring!!!
Heather
HI Randi,
I'm ching-chou kuik.
I'm very happy to see your beautiful cards! LOVE THEM.
I just shared your link on my facebook page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ching-Chou-Kuik/123878723317?ref=nf
I hope you don't mind :)
cheers, ching chou
Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this wonderful tutorial with us... I've always been in complete awe of your coloring skills, especially all the cool hair you do! I'm so going to go try this combo soon. Oh, and I would LOVE to see how you did Dahlia's hair from your October 6th blog post too... that one just blows me away! :)
Thank you so much for the detailed pictures Randi. I truly enjoy your classes at Paper Tales and look forward to learning more.
HOLY COW BATMAN!!! Seriously Randi?!?! This is just UNBELIEVEABLY GORGEOUS! I am sooooo loving these mermaid ATC's!! The colors, and coloring and watery feel to them - you so ROCK! You'll be needing my address to send these to, so it's....hehehe ;)
Randi, I canno teven begin to tell you how my jaw dropped on the floor when I saw these!!! First, the images are AMAZING! I REALLY hope an elf brings me at least ONE of these! Second, your coloring...oh my my! You are SO incredible! You are an absolute inspiration!!!!! You seriously rock!
yep. you are good for that company. i've already ordered some hoping to make something as pretty as this!
one of my weekly favs!
http://www.toptencreations.blogspot.com
Post a Comment